Celebrating his 60th birthday today is former McLaren driver Stephen South!
Born in Middlesex, South studied at Harrow County School for Boys before the racing bug bit him hard. He is best known for winning the 1978 British Formula 3 championship.
His one and only grand Prix appearance came at the 1980 United States Grand Prix West at Long Beach, where he substituted for the injured Alain Prost but failed to qualify.
Sadly for Stephen, he wouldn’t grace the Formula 1 grid again, and further tragedy would strike when he had part of one leg amputated later that year when he was injured in a CanAm race.
[Image via Laberezina]
Latest posts by Richard Bailey (see all)
- WEC alters 2019-20 calendar to avoid F1 clash - 22 September, 2018
- WTCR: Ma Qing Hua to race on home soil - 18 September, 2018
- Hamilton inches to the 2018 title with victory - 17 September, 2018
- Hamilton stuns with another pole position - 16 September, 2018
- Ferrari dominates in final practice - 15 September, 2018