Javier Villa has re-signed with Scuderia Proteam for a second season in the World Touring Car Championship; the team will field an unchanged line-up for its BMW 320TC cars, having already re-signed Moroccan driver Mehdi Bennani for the 2012 season.
The Spaniard, a former GP2 Series driver, finished fifth overall in the Independent Trophy Championship standings his maiden season of frontline tin-top racing, claiming one class win.
The 24-year-old came close to claiming an outright win in the second race at Valencia, only to be barged out of the lead by Tom Coronel in the closing stages.
“We are happy to announce after the negotiations in recent months, that Proteam confirm that Javier Villa will be with the team this year,” a team spokesperson is quoted as saying.
Latest posts by Richard Bailey (see all)
- WTCR: Guerrieri outwits Muller at the Nordschleife - 26 September, 2020
- WTCR: Girolami breaks Nordschleife lap record to claim pole - 25 September, 2020
- WTCR: Hyundai withdraws from Germany round - 24 September, 2020
- WTCR: Ehrlacher leads Lynk & Co podium sweep at Zolder - 13 September, 2020
- WTCR: Girolami kicks off 2020 season with victory - 13 September, 2020