After being unable to ready its 2012 challenger, the F112, in time for the final pre-season at Barcelona, the HRT F1 team has announced that it will be allowed to run the car at the Circuit de Catalunya today.
This year’s rules allow for teams to perform an additional circuit test, limited to just 100 kilometres of running, for the purposes of a ‘promotional filming session’.
This means that the team will have a crucial leg-up of main rival Marussia Racing, which has been unable to run its new car at all after its new chassis failed to pass the mandatory FIA crash tests.
The Spanish team will be able to head to the Australian Grand Prix in Melbourne with vital track mileage and the opportunity to shake down its brand new car.
The team confirmed in a media release that Narain Karthikeyan – who has not driven any laps in a Formula 1 car since last year’s Indian Grand Prix – will be given the honours to debut the F112.
The team’s test will be restricted to the use of promotional Pirelli tyres under the strict pre-season regulations.
It will be the first time in the team’s history that it will have run a new car ahead of the first Grand Prix of the season.
Latest posts by Richard Bailey (see all)
- 2020 F1 Season Review (Blu Ray) - 27 February, 2021
- WTCR: Guerrieri outwits Muller at the Nordschleife - 26 September, 2020
- WTCR: Girolami breaks Nordschleife lap record to claim pole - 25 September, 2020
- WTCR: Hyundai withdraws from Germany round - 24 September, 2020
- WTCR: Ehrlacher leads Lynk & Co podium sweep at Zolder - 13 September, 2020