Fernando Alonso has become the latest Formula 1 driver to sport a tattoo, with photographs taken in the Sepang paddock indicating the Spaniard has had a large design etched onto his neck and back.
According to reports in the Spanish press, the two-time champion has acquired a ‘Samurai’ design inspired by the Hagakure, the spiritual guide written by 18th-century samurai Tsunetomo Yamamoto. The design features Japanes images and characters, with much of it being on his back.
Alonso is not the only driver on this year’s grid to sport some ink: Michael Schumacher and Kimi Räikkönen both sport designs on their arms, while Jenson Button and Kamui Kobayashi have each admitted to having at least four separate tattoos.
Perhaps most unusually, Nico Hülkenberg had the logo of his main sponsor, Katjes, tattooed onto his left arm last year – the ultimate long-term commitment between driver and sponsor!
The German has confirmed that Katjes will be made to pay for the laser removal of the logo should their contract with him ever be cancelled.
Latest posts by Richard Bailey (see all)
- 2020 F1 Season Review (Blu Ray) - 27 February, 2021
- WTCR: Guerrieri outwits Muller at the Nordschleife - 26 September, 2020
- WTCR: Girolami breaks Nordschleife lap record to claim pole - 25 September, 2020
- WTCR: Hyundai withdraws from Germany round - 24 September, 2020
- WTCR: Ehrlacher leads Lynk & Co podium sweep at Zolder - 13 September, 2020