Things got hotter than most people would have liked in the Lotus F1 team camp with the team being forced to relocate its operation in the Sepang paddock after its hospitality unit was destroyed by fire overnight.
Fire crews were called to the burning building in the early hours of the morning after the fire took hold in the team’s hospitality and kitchen facilities. It is believed that the fire was triggered by an electrical fault in a refrigerator.
Incredibly, the team suffered little in the way of major racing equipment loss. However, a spare helmet belonging to Kimi Räikkönen was destroyed, and the team’s marketing and hospitality departments are without their usual equipment.
One hopes that the team was able to salvage some ice cream, lest Kimi get the need to snack during any delays that may eventuate if the rain hits the circuit during race day.
Latest posts by Richard Bailey (see all)
- 2020 F1 Season Review (Blu Ray) - 27 February, 2021
- WTCR: Guerrieri outwits Muller at the Nordschleife - 26 September, 2020
- WTCR: Girolami breaks Nordschleife lap record to claim pole - 25 September, 2020
- WTCR: Hyundai withdraws from Germany round - 24 September, 2020
- WTCR: Ehrlacher leads Lynk & Co podium sweep at Zolder - 13 September, 2020