The HRT Formula 1 team has confirmed that its head of technical development, Toni Cuquerella, has been promoted to the role of the team’s new Technical Director. Cuquerella’s role will be to oversee the in-house development of the team’s new F112 challenger in the wake of HRT’s relocation to its new headquarters in Madrid.
The 38-year-old has several years of motorsport engineering experience to his credit, including stints as chief engineer for SEAT Sport in the World Touring Car Championship, as well as serving as a race engineer at the Super Aguri and BMW Sauber F1 teams. Cuquerella has been part of the HRT operation since it was born in late 2009.
“Toni Cuquerella has been a key figure in the team since its inception and, above all, in this new stage,” HRT Team Principal Luis Pérez-Sala said in the team’s media release.
“The transition from the previous project to this one hasn’t been easy and a lot of work has been carried out that without vital figures such as him wouldn’t have been possible. The position of Technical Director was vacant and the development of the F112 was carried out at the technical office in Munich.
“But now, with the car already on the track, it was important to take control and count on someone influential at the head of the technical office. And because of his experience, judgment and knowledge, Toni’s profile fitted in perfectly.”
Latest posts by Richard Bailey (see all)
- WTCR: Guerrieri outwits Muller at the Nordschleife - 26 September, 2020
- WTCR: Girolami breaks Nordschleife lap record to claim pole - 25 September, 2020
- WTCR: Hyundai withdraws from Germany round - 24 September, 2020
- WTCR: Ehrlacher leads Lynk & Co podium sweep at Zolder - 13 September, 2020
- WTCR: Girolami kicks off 2020 season with victory - 13 September, 2020