Former Grand Prix driver Vitantonio Liuzzi has won first time out on his debut in Italy’s major touring car series, the Superstars championship, winning the second race of the season-opening round at Monza.
After finishing third in the opening race and with the top-eight finishers’ starting positions reversed for Race 2, the Italian would start the thirteen-lap race from sixth place.
In an incredible opening lap, Liuzzi gained three placed before the first corner, passed Mika Salo for second place halfway around the lap, and took the lead from Nico Caldarola at the Parabolica.
He was never headed from that point, cruising to a 1.1-second win.
Salo would retire on the fourth lap, crashing out with a rear suspension failure. Fellow former F1 driver and three-time series champion Gianni Morbidelli finished the race fifth in his Audi.
Latest posts by Richard Bailey (see all)
- FEATURE: Gifts for the gents - 13 February, 2019
- 2018 F1 Season Review (Blu Ray) - 9 February, 2019
- Supercars: Series to celebrate 1000th race in Melbourne - 22 January, 2019
- EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW: Fabrizio Barbazza - 3 January, 2019
- Supercars: Holdsworth confirmed at Tickford - 21 December, 2018