While his Formula 1 colleagues were braving the rain in Mugello, Jenson Button ventured to Hungary’s capital, Budapest, to entertain over 500,000 fans in a street demonstration in his McLaren at a Vodafone-sponsored event.
The crowd-thriller was held in conjunction with this weekend’s build-up to the World Touring Car Championship round at the Hungaroring, which featured appearances by Tom Boardman, Pasquale di Sabatino and local championship drivers Norbert Michelisz and Gábor Wéber.
The quintet performed a series of demonstration runs on a makeshift four-kilometre circuit that snaked its way around the city’s historic buildings from the central Erzsébet tér (Elizabeth square) and along Bajcsy-Zsilinszky and Alkotmány utca.
“It was a great pleasure for me to take part in such a huge festival featuring exciting programmes in downtown Budapest,” said two-time Hungarian Grand Prix winner Button.
“I really enjoyed the running over the afternoon. It was special not only because it was hosted in a location different to the usual Formula 1 circuits and I was surrounded by beautiful buildings.”
Button and team-mate Lewis Hamilton will be missing in action from this year’s only in-season ‘open’ test session at Mugello, with McLaren reserve drivers Gary Paffett and Oliver Turvey performing driving duties at the Italian circuit.
Latest posts by Richard Bailey (see all)
- 2020 F1 Season Review (Blu Ray) - 27 February, 2021
- WTCR: Guerrieri outwits Muller at the Nordschleife - 26 September, 2020
- WTCR: Girolami breaks Nordschleife lap record to claim pole - 25 September, 2020
- WTCR: Hyundai withdraws from Germany round - 24 September, 2020
- WTCR: Ehrlacher leads Lynk & Co podium sweep at Zolder - 13 September, 2020