Gastón Mazzacane – better known to many F1 fans as ‘The Flying Mullet’ – is celebrating his 37th birthday today!
After an undistinguished pedigree, the Argentinean somehow found his way into the second Minardi seat for the 2000 Formula 1 season.
That being said, Gastón certainly didn’t disgrace himself, and one of the principal highlights of his career was running as high as third during the pit stop sequence at the United States Grand Prix, overtaking none other than an incandescent Mika Häkkinen!
Gastón – or, rather, his PSN sponsorship – found a home with the financially strapped Prost team for the 2000 season, but after four well and truly anonymous, off-the-pace races, he was quietly eased aside and replaced by the accident-prone Luciano Burti.
Gastón now competes in the Top Race V6 championship, Argentina’s equivalent to stock car racing.
Latest posts by Richard Bailey (see all)
- 2020 F1 Season Review (Blu Ray) - 27 February, 2021
- WTCR: Guerrieri outwits Muller at the Nordschleife - 26 September, 2020
- WTCR: Girolami breaks Nordschleife lap record to claim pole - 25 September, 2020
- WTCR: Hyundai withdraws from Germany round - 24 September, 2020
- WTCR: Ehrlacher leads Lynk & Co podium sweep at Zolder - 13 September, 2020