Gastón Mazzacane – better known to many F1 fans as ‘The Flying Mullet’ – is celebrating his 37th birthday today!
After an undistinguished pedigree, the Argentinean somehow found his way into the second Minardi seat for the 2000 Formula 1 season.
That being said, Gastón certainly didn’t disgrace himself, and one of the principal highlights of his career was running as high as third during the pit stop sequence at the United States Grand Prix, overtaking none other than an incandescent Mika Häkkinen!
Gastón – or, rather, his PSN sponsorship – found a home with the financially strapped Prost team for the 2000 season, but after four well and truly anonymous, off-the-pace races, he was quietly eased aside and replaced by the accident-prone Luciano Burti.
Gastón now competes in the Top Race V6 championship, Argentina’s equivalent to stock car racing.
Latest posts by Richard Bailey (see all)
- WEC alters 2019-20 calendar to avoid F1 clash - 22 September, 2018
- WTCR: Ma Qing Hua to race on home soil - 18 September, 2018
- Hamilton inches to the 2018 title with victory - 17 September, 2018
- Hamilton stuns with another pole position - 16 September, 2018
- Ferrari dominates in final practice - 15 September, 2018