Former F1 driver Vitantonio Liuzzi has claimed a last-gasp pole position at this weekend’s SuperStars Championship round at the Hungaroring, an event that has seen fellow Red Bull Racing team-mate Christian Klien and WTCC frontrunner Norbert Michelisz make their championship debuts.
Driving for the CAAL Mercedes-Benz team, Liuzzi hustled his AMG C63 car around the twisty circuit to snatch pole in the final minute of a frantic session.
Series debutant Michelisz – who sensationally won here at this year’s World Touring Car Championship round – finished second-quickest in his one-off appearance in the championship, piloting a Scuderia Giudici BMW.
The pair edged out former F1 racer and three-time SuperStars champion Gianni Morbidelli, who was third-fastest in his Audi Sport Italia RS4.
Also making his SuperStars debut was Christian Klien, who was sixth-fastest in his Swiss Team Maserati Quattroporte.
Latest posts by Richard Bailey (see all)
- 2020 F1 Season Review (Blu Ray) - 27 February, 2021
- WTCR: Guerrieri outwits Muller at the Nordschleife - 26 September, 2020
- WTCR: Girolami breaks Nordschleife lap record to claim pole - 25 September, 2020
- WTCR: Hyundai withdraws from Germany round - 24 September, 2020
- WTCR: Ehrlacher leads Lynk & Co podium sweep at Zolder - 13 September, 2020