Former F1 driver Vitantonio Liuzzi has claimed a last-gasp pole position at this weekend’s SuperStars Championship round at the Hungaroring, an event that has seen fellow Red Bull Racing team-mate Christian Klien and WTCC frontrunner Norbert Michelisz make their championship debuts.
Driving for the CAAL Mercedes-Benz team, Liuzzi hustled his AMG C63 car around the twisty circuit to snatch pole in the final minute of a frantic session.
Series debutant Michelisz – who sensationally won here at this year’s World Touring Car Championship round – finished second-quickest in his one-off appearance in the championship, piloting a Scuderia Giudici BMW.
The pair edged out former F1 racer and three-time SuperStars champion Gianni Morbidelli, who was third-fastest in his Audi Sport Italia RS4.
Also making his SuperStars debut was Christian Klien, who was sixth-fastest in his Swiss Team Maserati Quattroporte.
Latest posts by Richard Bailey (see all)
- Bottas stays on top despite collision with Grosjean - 30 November, 2019
- Bottas fastest in FP1, Vettel crashes - 29 November, 2019
- Williams confirms Latifi for 2020 - 28 November, 2019
- Supercars: Stanaway hangs up his helmet - 26 November, 2019
- Formula E: Sims wins chaotic second race in Diriyah - 24 November, 2019