Several reports have all but confirmed that Adrian Sutil could make a return to the Formula 1 pit lane for the first time in over a year.
The German is set to test for Force India at the Circuit de Catalunya next week, after confirmation that he has had a seat-fitting at the team’s Silverstone factory.
The 30-year-old has not yet been guaranteed an outing in the team’s Mercedes-powered VJM06, although he is considered one of three likely candidates – along with Jules Bianchi and Jaime Alguersuari – for the final vacant seat as Paul di Resta’s team-mate.
“Adrian has had a seat fitting,” a team spokesperson told the GP Update website.
“The line-up is not finalised, but there is a possibility Adrian could be involved.”
The team is expected to confirm its line-up for the second and third pre-season tests at the Circuit de Catalunya next week.
The Barcelona circuit will host two separate four-day test sessions between 19-22 February and 28 February to 3 March.
Sutil drove for the team in its various guises (Midland, Spyker, Force India) between 2007-11, but lost his drive with the team during the 2011-12 off-season after he was convicted of causing grievous bodily harm stemming from an assault incident with Lotus F1 executive Eric Lux earlier in the year. Sutil was hit with a suspended jail sentence and a €200,000 fine.
Latest posts by Richard Bailey (see all)
- 2020 F1 Season Review (Blu Ray) - 27 February, 2021
- WTCR: Guerrieri outwits Muller at the Nordschleife - 26 September, 2020
- WTCR: Girolami breaks Nordschleife lap record to claim pole - 25 September, 2020
- WTCR: Hyundai withdraws from Germany round - 24 September, 2020
- WTCR: Ehrlacher leads Lynk & Co podium sweep at Zolder - 13 September, 2020