Force India contenders Adrian Sutil and Jules Bianchi will have a showdown of sorts for the final vacancy on the 2013 Formula 1 grid at this week’s second pre-season test at the Circuit de Catalunya.
With Force India yet to announce the identity of Paul di Resta’s team-mate, the pair will each get one day’s running in the team’s Mercedes-powered VJM06 over the course of the four-day test.
Di Resta will pilot the car on the opening two days of the test before handing over to Sutil on Thursday. Bianchi will drive the car on the final day of the test.
It will be Sutil’s first F1 outing since his final Grand Prix appearance at the 2011 Brazilian Grand Prix, shortly before he was found guilty of grievous bodily harm charges stemming from a Shanghai nightclub fight with Genii Capital manager Eric Lux.
Sutil has competed for four seasons with the team in its various guises between 2008-11 before he was replaced by Nico Hulkenberg. Last week, he had a seat fitting with the team, all but confirming his appearance in the pit lane this week.
Ferrari reserve driver Bianchi – who was loaned to Force India last season – enjoyed his first taste of the VJM06 at last week’s opening test session at Jerez. He posted the second-fastest time behind Kimi Räikkönen on the final day’s running.
Latest posts by Richard Bailey (see all)
- 2020 F1 Season Review (Blu Ray) - 27 February, 2021
- WTCR: Guerrieri outwits Muller at the Nordschleife - 26 September, 2020
- WTCR: Girolami breaks Nordschleife lap record to claim pole - 25 September, 2020
- WTCR: Hyundai withdraws from Germany round - 24 September, 2020
- WTCR: Ehrlacher leads Lynk & Co podium sweep at Zolder - 13 September, 2020