Adrian Sutil is almost certain to be confirmed as Paul di Resta’s team-mate at Force India for the 2013 Formula 1 season, after sources confirmed that the seat’s other contender, Jules Bianchi, had been told he was no longer in the race for the drive.
Bianchi, who was loaned by Ferrari to serve as Force India’s reserve driver for the 2012 season, will no doubt be disappointed by the news, having come so close to landing the opportunity to follow in the footsteps of his great-uncle, Lucien Bianchi, in racing in Formula 1.
That will have to wait until 2014 at the earliest, with sources close to Sutil confirming that the German has been given the nod after making his first appearance in an F1 cockpit in over a year when he tested for the team last week at the Circuit de Catalunya.
While Force India is yet to officially announce the signing, confirmation is expected this week, possibly during the final pre-season test which kicks off today.
Bianchi is expected to remain with the team as its reserve for another season.
Latest posts by Richard Bailey (see all)
- WTCR: Guerrieri outwits Muller at the Nordschleife - 26 September, 2020
- WTCR: Girolami breaks Nordschleife lap record to claim pole - 25 September, 2020
- WTCR: Hyundai withdraws from Germany round - 24 September, 2020
- WTCR: Ehrlacher leads Lynk & Co podium sweep at Zolder - 13 September, 2020
- WTCR: Girolami kicks off 2020 season with victory - 13 September, 2020