Up-and-coming driver António Félix da Costa will replace Sébastien Buemi as the Red Bull Racing team’s reserve driver at this weekend’s Chinese Grand Prix.
Buemi will be unavailable as he is contesting the opening round of the FIA World Endurance Championship (WEC) at Silverstone.
Félix da Costa comes fresh off the back of winning the second race of the Formula Renault 3.5 Championship at Monza, and will serve as the substitute driver for either Sebastian Vettel or Mark Webber in the event that
one injures the other either is unable to take part this weekend.
While he hasn’t contested an official Formula 1 practice session, Félix da Costa has driven for the team at the Abu Dhabi ‘Young Drivers’ Test session at the end of last year, finishing quickest overall on the second day of running in last year’s RB8 challenger.
He will also serve as the team’s reserve driver at the Singapore Grand Prix in September, which clashes with Buemi’s drive at the WEC round at the Circuit of the Americas.
Latest posts by Richard Bailey (see all)
- 2020 F1 Season Review (Blu Ray) - 27 February, 2021
- WTCR: Guerrieri outwits Muller at the Nordschleife - 26 September, 2020
- WTCR: Girolami breaks Nordschleife lap record to claim pole - 25 September, 2020
- WTCR: Hyundai withdraws from Germany round - 24 September, 2020
- WTCR: Ehrlacher leads Lynk & Co podium sweep at Zolder - 13 September, 2020