AJ Allmendinger’s part-time return to open-wheel racing has been extended to another IndyCar Series outing, with Team Penske confirming that the former Champ Car race-winner will drive its third car at the Detroit Grand Prix in June.
The American had originally been confirmed in the Penske team’s line-up for the Indianapolis 500, before further outings at Barber Motorsport Park and Long Beach were added to his schedule.
But now the team has announced that he will also contest the two races on the tight and twisty Belle Isle circuit, which will play host to the IndyCar Series’ first double-header event of the 2013 season.
The announcement makes perfect sense for the team, given that it is effectively the home race for the team and its engine supplier Chevrolet – Penske team owner Roger Penske is also the promoter of the event, which returned to the IndyCar Series calendar last year.
Latest posts by Richard Bailey (see all)
- WEC alters 2019-20 calendar to avoid F1 clash - 22 September, 2018
- WTCR: Ma Qing Hua to race on home soil - 18 September, 2018
- Hamilton inches to the 2018 title with victory - 17 September, 2018
- Hamilton stuns with another pole position - 16 September, 2018
- Ferrari dominates in final practice - 15 September, 2018