Jean-Éric Vergne’s celebrations over achieving back-to-back top-ten qualifying results may have been tempered somewhat overnight, after the Frenchman was relieved of €1,000 after being clocked speeding in the pit lane during qualifying.
The Scuderia Toro Rosso driver was clocked doing 102.6km/h in the Sepang International Circuit pit lane, over 20km/h above the permitted speed limit of 80km/h.
Pit lane speed limits were reduced to 80km/h at the majority of circuits on the Formula 1 calendar following the injuries suffered by a FOM cameraman inthe Nürburgring pit lane who was struck by a stray flying wheel after Red Bull Racing bungled Mark Webber’s pit stop at the German Grand Prix.
Vergne starts today’s race from ninth on the grid.
Image via XPB Images
Latest posts by Richard Bailey (see all)
- WTCR: Ma Qing Hua to race on home soil - 18 September, 2018
- Hamilton inches to the 2018 title with victory - 17 September, 2018
- Hamilton stuns with another pole position - 16 September, 2018
- Ferrari dominates in final practice - 15 September, 2018
- Räikkönen edges Hamilton under the floodlights - 15 September, 2018