Sebastian Vettel’s miserable qualifying session has been further compounded with a five-place grid penalty for a gearbox change.
The reigning World Champion qualified tenth for the Spanish Grand Prix, unable to set a time in Q3 after stopping on the circuit with a technical problem on his out-lap.
Investigation by his Red Bull Racing mechanics showed the issue to be gearbox-related, forcing a change of the gearbox unit which had not run the six consecutive races required under this year’s technical regulations.
As a result of the gearbox change, the subsequent five-place grid penalty demotes Vettel to fifteenth on the starting grid.
Vettel joins Jean-Éric Vergne in being hit with a grid drop; Verge also drops five places because his Toro Rosso shed a front wheel during Friday practice.
Image via XPB Images
Latest posts by Geoff Burke (see all)
- Supercars: McLaughlin closes in on third title - 26 September, 2020
- Supercars: Former team granted Bathurst 1000 wildcard - 22 September, 2020
- Supercars: McLaughlin leads DJRTP 1-2 in Race 3 - 20 September, 2020
- Supercars: Van Gisbergen dominates Race 2 at The Bend - 20 September, 2020
- Supercars: Coulthard wins thriller at The Bend - 19 September, 2020