The Mercedes AMG F1 team used the second and final day of the Barcelona in-season test to trial a ‘megaphone’ exhaust trumpet fitted to its F1W05 Hybrid as the sport explores what can be done to increase noise levels of the new turbo-hybrid engines.
The noticeably quieter V6 units have attracted widespread criticism from the sport’s fans and pundits, prompting Grand Prix promoters worldwide to hold an emergency meeting with Bernie Ecclestone during last weekend’s Spanish Grand Prix.
It was thought that the sound could be artificially increased through the use of a trumpet-style exhaust design, which Mercedes opted to run at the Circuit de Catalunya-Barcelon yesterday.
However, the new exhaust appeared not to make a great deal of difference.
“Unfortunately it didn’t change anything, so we need to keep pushing – we want to as a team make the sport louder and to keep pushing and to try another solution as this was not the right solution,” Nico Rosberg, who was behind the wheel during the day.
The German posted a Louis Armstrong-styled meme designed by one of the Mercedes team members (pictured right).
It looks like it’s back to the drawing board…
Images via Nico Rosberg and XPB Images
Latest posts by Richard Bailey (see all)
- 2020 F1 Season Review (Blu Ray) - 27 February, 2021
- WTCR: Guerrieri outwits Muller at the Nordschleife - 26 September, 2020
- WTCR: Girolami breaks Nordschleife lap record to claim pole - 25 September, 2020
- WTCR: Hyundai withdraws from Germany round - 24 September, 2020
- WTCR: Ehrlacher leads Lynk & Co podium sweep at Zolder - 13 September, 2020