Jamie Whincup has showed no ill effects from celebrating hid claiming a fourth straight V8 Supercars Championship title yesterday, after holding out Scott McLaughlin to claim pole position for Sunday’s Feature Race at Phillip Island.
A brief rain shower hit the circuit just as the 20-minute qualifying session got underway, but it was over just as quickly. The track quickly dried and the improved conditions prevailed, delivering a session that threw up little in the way of surprise performances – the exception was Craig Lowndes, who starts fifteenth after encountering traffic on his final flying lap.
Whincup proved to be the pacesetter on both of his green tyre runs, clocking an eventual 1:31.181 to edge out Scott McLaughlin by seven-hundredths of a second.
Mark Winterbottom backed up his strong Saturday qualifying form to finish third-fastest in his FPR Falcon ahead of Garth Tander and Shane van Gisbergen.
Michael Caruso’s strong end-of-season run continued with the sixth-fastest time, with Nick Percat, James Courtney, Jason Bright and Chaz Mostert rounding out the top ten.
Image via V8 Supercars Championship Media
Latest posts by Geoff Burke (see all)
- Supercars: Van Gisbergen ends winless streak - 6 September, 2020
- Formula 2: Schumacher charges to Monza victory - 6 September, 2020
- Supercars: McLaughlin extends points lead with Townsville win - 5 September, 2020
- Formula 2: Ilott on pole again - 5 September, 2020
- Supercars: More calendar changes for 2020 season - 31 August, 2020