Nico Rosberg may have reduced Lewis Hamilton’s championship lead to 17 points and by taking pole position for Sunday’s Abu Dhabi Grand Prix, the German has given himself a slight advantage in his quest to stop his teammate from claiming a second Formula 1 Drivers’ Championship title.
The normal points-scoring structure would see Hamilton needing a sixth-placed finish or higher to guarantee himself the World Championship title, but with the Bernie Ecclestone inspired and highly unpopular ‘double points’ concept making its debut this weekend, the situation becomes far more complex.
That means that Hamilton needs a second-placed finish to deny Rosberg any chance of a maiden World Championship crown even if the second-generation racer claims the maximum 50 points on offer this weekend.
At minimum, Rosberg must finish fifth or higher to have any chance to staying in the mix and winning the Championship crown himself. Here’s how the championship battle would be resolved:
Hamilton can win the Drivers’ Championship in any of the following scenarios:
- By finishing ahead of Rosberg
- Finishing no worse than second if Rosberg wins
- Finishing fifth or better if Rosberg finishes second
- Finishing sixth or better if Rosberg finishes third
- Finishing eighth or better if Rosberg finishes fourth
- Finishing ninth or better if Rosberg finishes fifth
Rosberg can win the Drivers’ Championship in any of the following scenarios:
- Win the race, with Hamilton finishing third or lower
- Finishing second, with Hamilton finishing sixth or worse
- Finishing third, with Hamilton finishing seventh or worse
- Finishing fourth, with Hamilton finishing ninth or worse
- Finishing fifth, with Hamilton finishing tenth or worse
Image via XPB Images
Latest posts by Geoff Burke (see all)
- ‘Daniel Ricciardo: In Pursuit of Greatness’ - 3 August, 2018
- Formula 2: Sette Câmara stuns with pole - 28 July, 2018
- Formula 2: 2018 Race of Hungary Preview - 27 July, 2018
- Supercars: Bright replaces Brabham for enduro rounds - 27 July, 2018
- Formula 2: Lorandi gets Trident call-up - 24 July, 2018