The stars of motorsport have been recognised in the 2015 Laureus World Sports Awards, with reigning Formula 1 and MotoGP champions Lewis Hamilton and Marc Márquez both shortlisted for the World Sportsman of the Year Award.
The duo will be competing against footballer Cristiano Ronaldo, tennis star Novak Djokovic, golfer Rory McIlroy and pole vaulter Renaud Lavillenie.
Hamilton won’t be the only Formula 1 star in the running, however, with Red Bull Racing driver Daniel Ricciardo up for the Breakthrough of the Year award. The Australian was the only driver outside of the two works Mercedes drivers to claim victory last season; he finished third in the Drivers’ Championship standings and well ahead of teammate Sebastian Vettel, who was last year’s World Sportsman of the Year winner.
He faces competition from tennis player Marin Cilić, alpine skier Mikaela Shiffrin, the Swiss Davis Cup team and footballers Mario Götze and James Rodriguez.
The Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team has also been nominated in the Laureus Awards, and are in contention for the World Team of the Year award.
The 2015 Laureus Award winners will be announced in Shanghai on April 15.
Image via XPB Images
Latest posts by Richard Bailey (see all)
- 2020 F1 Season Review (Blu Ray) - 27 February, 2021
- WTCR: Guerrieri outwits Muller at the Nordschleife - 26 September, 2020
- WTCR: Girolami breaks Nordschleife lap record to claim pole - 25 September, 2020
- WTCR: Hyundai withdraws from Germany round - 24 September, 2020
- WTCR: Ehrlacher leads Lynk & Co podium sweep at Zolder - 13 September, 2020