Simona de Silvestro will make a return to the IndyCar Series after securing a last-minute deal to drive a fourth Andretti Autosports entry at the season-opening Grand Prix of St Petersburg. The deal is, at this stage, for one race only.
“I am very excited to be joining Andretti Autosport and to become part of a team with such a successful history,” she said of her one-race deal.
“It feels really special to have been given this opportunity to drive for them. I also want to thank Michael [Andretti, team owner] for believing in me and I can’t wait to start working with the team. Also, I am looking forward to get back behind the wheel of an IndyCar.”
The ‘Swiss Missile’ spent four seasons in the North American open-wheel championship, and became the first woman to finish on the podium at a street course race when she finished second at Houston in 2013 en route to a career-best thirteenth in the Drivers’ Championship standings.
She was signed as an ‘affiliate driver’ with the Sauber F1 Team last year, with the Swiss outfit running a number of private test sessions in a two-year-old Formula 1 car to help fast-track her towards a possible full-time Formula 1 drive.
The deal ended midway through the year when de Silvestro’s backers were unable to continue funding the venture, leaving de Silvestro’s motorsport career in limbo.
Images via Motorsport.com
Latest posts by Geoff Burke (see all)
- Supercars: McLaughlin closes in on third title - 26 September, 2020
- Supercars: Former team granted Bathurst 1000 wildcard - 22 September, 2020
- Supercars: McLaughlin leads DJRTP 1-2 in Race 3 - 20 September, 2020
- Supercars: Van Gisbergen dominates Race 2 at The Bend - 20 September, 2020
- Supercars: Coulthard wins thriller at The Bend - 19 September, 2020