The Nika Racing squad will be missing in action for the third round of the FIA World Touring Car Championship in succession, after officially withdrawing from this weekend’s inaugural event at the Nürburgring Nordschleife.
The Honda outfit’s sole driver, Rickard Rydell, has been recovering from an acute bout of thyroiditis, which was diagnosed in the lead-up to last month’s second round of the season in Morocco.
He also missed the subsequent event at the Hungaroring, and while the team had indicated its hopes that the Swedish veteran would have made a full recovery, it is evidently not the case.
With LADA having also announced the withdrawal of Mikhail Kozlovskiy and Proteam Racing still without a driver following the acrimonious departure of Dušan Borković, the grid will feature just 17 cars.
The only addition to the field this weekend is a second Münnich Motorsport Chevrolet RML Cruze, which will be driven by Sabine Schmitz.
Image via Aftonbladet.se
Latest posts by Richard Bailey (see all)
- 2020 F1 Season Review (Blu Ray) - 27 February, 2021
- WTCR: Guerrieri outwits Muller at the Nordschleife - 26 September, 2020
- WTCR: Girolami breaks Nordschleife lap record to claim pole - 25 September, 2020
- WTCR: Hyundai withdraws from Germany round - 24 September, 2020
- WTCR: Ehrlacher leads Lynk & Co podium sweep at Zolder - 13 September, 2020