The Nika Racing squad will be missing in action for the third round of the FIA World Touring Car Championship in succession, after officially withdrawing from this weekend’s inaugural event at the Nürburgring Nordschleife.
The Honda outfit’s sole driver, Rickard Rydell, has been recovering from an acute bout of thyroiditis, which was diagnosed in the lead-up to last month’s second round of the season in Morocco.
He also missed the subsequent event at the Hungaroring, and while the team had indicated its hopes that the Swedish veteran would have made a full recovery, it is evidently not the case.
With LADA having also announced the withdrawal of Mikhail Kozlovskiy and Proteam Racing still without a driver following the acrimonious departure of Dušan Borković, the grid will feature just 17 cars.
The only addition to the field this weekend is a second Münnich Motorsport Chevrolet RML Cruze, which will be driven by Sabine Schmitz.
Image via Aftonbladet.se
Latest posts by Richard Bailey (see all)
- WEC alters 2019-20 calendar to avoid F1 clash - 22 September, 2018
- WTCR: Ma Qing Hua to race on home soil - 18 September, 2018
- Hamilton inches to the 2018 title with victory - 17 September, 2018
- Hamilton stuns with another pole position - 16 September, 2018
- Ferrari dominates in final practice - 15 September, 2018