Scuderia Ferrari will give Antonio Fuoco his first Formula 1 outing at next week’s post-Austrian Grand Prix test session at the Red Bull Ring.
The 19-year-old Ferrari Academy driver, who won the Formula Renault 2.0 ALPS title in 2013, is currently competing in his first season of GP3 Series competition with the Carlin team. The Italian lies seventh in the Drivers’ Championship standings, finishing eighth and fourth in the season opener in Spain.
“This is a significant opportunity for him, as part of the programme which the Scuderia runs to help the development of young drivers,” a Ferrari statement reads.
Fuoco will drive the team’s SF15-T on the opening day of the test – which runs on June 23-24 – before handing over the controls to the team’s reserve driver, Esteban Gutiérrez, on the second day.
Gutiérrez, who spent two seasons racing for the Sauber F1 Team, had his first run in the SF15-T at the preceding in-season test at the Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya last month.
Images via GP2 Series Insider
Latest posts by Geoff Burke (see all)
- Formula E: Zürich drops off the 2018-19 schedule - 5 September, 2018
- Formula 2: Russell extends title lead with Sprint Race win - 2 September, 2018
- Formula 2: Makino romps to shock maiden win - 2 September, 2018
- Formula 2: Russell wins crucial pole at Monza - 1 September, 2018
- ‘The Passion for Muscle Cars’ - 31 August, 2018