Lewis Hamilton can successfully defend his Formula 1 Drivers’ Championship title – and claim his third crown overall – at this weekend’s United States Grand Prix.
The Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team driver leads the championship standings by 66 points over Ferrari’s Sebastian Vettel, while his Mercedes teammate Nico Rosberg is a further seven points adrift.
With eight victories to-date in 2015 – compared to three each for Vettel and rosberg – Hamilton needs to lead the Drivers’ Championship standings by 75 points or more after Sunday’s race at the Circuit of the Americas if he is to close out the championship fight.
A 1-2 finish for Mercedes – not an uncommon occurrence this season – is the most straightforward race result that would give Hamilton the title, although there are another set of permutations that would achieve the same result.
Hamilton will clinch the championship:
- If he wins and Vettel does not finish second
- If he is second, Rosberg does not win and Vettel does not finish in the top five
- If he is third, Rosberg does not finish in first or second and Vettel does not finish in the top six
- If he is fourth, Rosberg does not finish on the podium and Vettel does not finish in the top eight
- If he is fifth, Rosberg does not finish in the top four and Vettel does not finish in the top nine
Having won twice in Formula 1’s past three visits to the Circuit of the Americas – on top of victory in 2007 in the sport’s last visit to Indianapolis – Hamilton is well placed to join Jackie Stewart as the second British driver (but the first Englishman) to achieve three Drivers’ Championship titles.
Image via Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team
Latest posts by Richard Bailey (see all)
- 2020 F1 Season Review (Blu Ray) - 27 February, 2021
- WTCR: Guerrieri outwits Muller at the Nordschleife - 26 September, 2020
- WTCR: Girolami breaks Nordschleife lap record to claim pole - 25 September, 2020
- WTCR: Hyundai withdraws from Germany round - 24 September, 2020
- WTCR: Ehrlacher leads Lynk & Co podium sweep at Zolder - 13 September, 2020