James Thompson will make his return to the FIA World Touring Car Championship at the upcoming Race of Slovakia.
The two-time British Touring Car Championship-winner will deputise for team owner/driver René Münnich in the German’s eponymous team’s Chevrolet RML Cruze TC1 while the German competes in the opening round of the FIA World Rallycross Championship in Portugal.
“We are very happy to welcome James Thompson to our team,” said team manager Dominik Greiner.
“Everybody at ALL-INKL.COM Münnich Motorsport is delighted to see ‘Thommo’ behind the wheel of the Chevrolet Cruze TC1.
“James is a true legend in touring cars with two BTCC titles and a couple WTCC race wins so far.”
The 41-year-old’s outing is a one-off deal at this stage, although with Münnich’s Rallycross commitments set to clash on a number of occasions during the year, there are further opportunities for him to drive for the independent team.
“The most important thing for James next weekend will be track time; to drive and learn the car. And in the races we hope that his great experience will help him to finish both races in a good position,” Greiner added.
The return to the World Touring Car Championship brings a near one-year absence from the series to a close after Thompson unexpectedly parted ways with the LADA Sport team early in the 2015 season.
Images via FIA WTCC Media
Latest posts by Richard Bailey (see all)
- WTCR: Guerrieri outwits Muller at the Nordschleife - 26 September, 2020
- WTCR: Girolami breaks Nordschleife lap record to claim pole - 25 September, 2020
- WTCR: Hyundai withdraws from Germany round - 24 September, 2020
- WTCR: Ehrlacher leads Lynk & Co podium sweep at Zolder - 13 September, 2020
- WTCR: Girolami kicks off 2020 season with victory - 13 September, 2020