Almost the entire field of this year’s 22 full-time Formula 1 drivers were present for a pre-Chinese Grand Prix dinner selfie – but more importantly, they made a none-too-subtle dig at the sport’s kingpin, Bernie Ecclestone.
The #RacingUnited hashtag of the Grand Prix Drivers’ Association was used by multiple drivers who shared the same group photo on their social media feeds, but championship leader Nico Rosberg was the most vocal, adding #WinsbagsUnited in reference to criticism from Ecclestone.
— Nico Rosberg (@nico_rosberg) April 13, 2016
The Englishman dubbed the GPDA ‘windbags’ in response to the body penning an open letter questioning the decision-making structures in the sport.
Nico Rosberg, Daniel Ricciardo, Fernando Alonso, Nico Hülkenberg, Valtteri Bottas, Max Verstappen, Daniil Kvyat, Esteban Gutiérrez, Sergio Pérez, Renault reserve Esteban Ocon, Marcus Ericson, Felipe Massa, Felipe Nasr, Carlos Sainz, Pascal Wehrlein, Sebastian Vettel, Jenson Button and Lewis Hamilton were all included in the photo.
Romain Grosjean, Jolyon Palmer, Kevin Magnussen, Rio Haryanto and – no great surprise – Kimi Räikkönen were seemingly missing in action.
Image via Nico Rosberg
Latest posts by Richard Bailey (see all)
- WTCR: Guerrieri outwits Muller at the Nordschleife - 26 September, 2020
- WTCR: Girolami breaks Nordschleife lap record to claim pole - 25 September, 2020
- WTCR: Hyundai withdraws from Germany round - 24 September, 2020
- WTCR: Ehrlacher leads Lynk & Co podium sweep at Zolder - 13 September, 2020
- WTCR: Girolami kicks off 2020 season with victory - 13 September, 2020