Five-time Porsche Carrera Cup Australia champion Craig Baird will drive for Erebus Motorsport at this weekend’s Coates Hire Ipswich SuperSprint round of the 2016 Australian Supercars Championship.
The New Zealander – a veteran of 164 races in the Australian touring car championship – currently races for Erebus Motorsport in the Australian GT Championship and was set to serve as a Pirtek Enduro Cup co-driver to the team’s lead driver, David Reynolds.
“I have raced with Erebus in the past and am familiar and confident with their programme,” said Baird.
“[I] have worked closely with their crew and Barry Ryan. This coupled with my experience in a Supercar will give us a good foundation to build on this weekend.”
The team has elected for Baird’s experience ahead of its other Enduro Cup co-driver Shae Davies as it looks to continue the development of the Holden Commodore chassis’ it is running this year following a switch from customer AMG Mercedes-Benz cars in the off-season.
Baird replaces the team’s rookie driver Aaren Russell, who suddenly parted ways with the team following a contractual dispute between the team and his primary sponsor, Plus Fitness.
The team’s #4 entry will run under the colours of fast food chain Hungry Jack’s, which has increased its current sponsorship commitment with the team to take over Plus Fitness’ branding.
Image via Porsche AG
Latest posts by Geoff Burke (see all)
- Supercars: McLaughlin closes in on third title - 26 September, 2020
- Supercars: Former team granted Bathurst 1000 wildcard - 22 September, 2020
- Supercars: McLaughlin leads DJRTP 1-2 in Race 3 - 20 September, 2020
- Supercars: Van Gisbergen dominates Race 2 at The Bend - 20 September, 2020
- Supercars: Coulthard wins thriller at The Bend - 19 September, 2020