Williams Racing driver Valtteri Bottas used the two-week gap between the Italian and Singapore grands Prix to marry his long-time girlfriend, Finnish Olympic swimmer Emilia Pikkarainen.
The wedding ceremony took place at St. John’s Church in Helsinki, attended by family, friends and a number of Formula 1 dignitaries. Among those on the VIP list included fellow Finnish drivers Heikki Kovalainen and two-time World Champion Mika Häkkinen, who acted as the newlyweds’ chauffeur.
Pikkarainen is the Finnish national record holder in the 50m, 100m and 200m butterfly, as well as the individual medley. She made her Olympic Games debut in Beijing in 2008 as a 15-year-old, and subsequently competed in the 2012 Olympic Games in London and the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro.
The pair started dating in 2010 and became engaged in 2015.
Image via Williams Racing
Latest posts by Geoff Burke (see all)
- Supercars: Van Gisbergen ends winless streak - 6 September, 2020
- Formula 2: Schumacher charges to Monza victory - 6 September, 2020
- Supercars: McLaughlin extends points lead with Townsville win - 5 September, 2020
- Formula 2: Ilott on pole again - 5 September, 2020
- Supercars: More calendar changes for 2020 season - 31 August, 2020