Scuderia Ferrari has confirmed that four-time World Champion Sebastian Vettel has re-signed with the team until the end of the 2020 Formula 1 season, ending speculation over the German’s whereabouts beyond the end of this year.
Fresh from finishing second-fastest to teammate Kimi Räikkönen in Saturday’s final practice for the Belgian Grand Prix, the Maranello-based squad issued a brief press release confirming that it had agreed to a new three-year deal.
Only earlier this week, Vettel had told reporters that he was in no hurry to sort out his future and that they should not expect any announcement until the team’s home race in Italy next weekend.
Vettel, who joined the team after splitting with Red Bull Racing, reportedly signed his contract extension on Friday evening.
His future at Ferrari was not always certain, however. Mercedes’ non-executive chairman Niki Lauda confirmed to SKY F1 that he had been in discussions with the Brackley-based squad, but that negotiations were abandoned in June once it became clear that Vettel’s preference was to remain at Ferrari.
The German currently leads the Drivers’ Championship standings by 14 points, ahead of Mercedes’ Lewis Hamilton.
The announcement finalises Ferrari’s driving line-up for 2018 after the team had announced earlier this week that Räikkönen had re-signed for another year.
Image via Scuderia Ferrari
Latest posts by Richard Bailey (see all)
- WTCR: Guerrieri outwits Muller at the Nordschleife - 26 September, 2020
- WTCR: Girolami breaks Nordschleife lap record to claim pole - 25 September, 2020
- WTCR: Hyundai withdraws from Germany round - 24 September, 2020
- WTCR: Ehrlacher leads Lynk & Co podium sweep at Zolder - 13 September, 2020
- WTCR: Girolami kicks off 2020 season with victory - 13 September, 2020