Kris Richard will make his FIA World Touring Car Championship debut at this weekend’s Japanese round at Twin Ring Motegi, replacing Esteban Guerrieri at Campos Racing following the Argentine driver’s call-up to the factory Honda squad.
Richard, who hails from Switzerland, won a one-off WTCC outing as a prize for winning the feeder European Touring Car Cup title last year with Rikli Motorsport. This year he has been racing in the German TCR Series.
“I don’t know the car, the team, the track, the WTCC or anything but these are plus points for me because I have no pressure,” Richard said of his appointment. “I [will] just go there to do the best I can out of the situation, completely free in the mind. I am really excited and really looking forward.”
Guerrieri, a two-time race-winner for Campos Racing in his first season of full-time WTCC competition this year, was confirmed as Tiago Monteiro’s replacement at Honda while the Portuguese driver continues to recover from a testing accident almost two months ago.
Image via FIA ETCC Media
Latest posts by Richard Bailey (see all)
- 2020 F1 Season Review (Blu Ray) - 27 February, 2021
- WTCR: Guerrieri outwits Muller at the Nordschleife - 26 September, 2020
- WTCR: Girolami breaks Nordschleife lap record to claim pole - 25 September, 2020
- WTCR: Hyundai withdraws from Germany round - 24 September, 2020
- WTCR: Ehrlacher leads Lynk & Co podium sweep at Zolder - 13 September, 2020