British driver Tom Blomqvist has emerged victorious in a test shootout against Alexander Sims to claim the second race seat at the Andretti Formula E team for the upcoming 2017-18 season.
The 23-year-old replaces Robin Frijns and will be teammate to António Félix da Costa.
A former race-winner in the FIA Formula 3 European championship, Blomqvist finished as championship runner-up to Max Verstappen in the 2014 standings. His success earned him a drive with BMW in the DTM championship, where he was also proved a race-winner.
Blomqvist is one of five rookie drivers joining the Formula E grid for 2017-18. Alongside him is fellow DTM race-winner Edoardo Mortara (at Venturi), GP2 Series veteran Luca Filippi (NIO) and Porsche WEC drivers Neel Jani (Dragon) and André Lotterer (Techeetah).
The season-opening Hong Kong ePrix double-header round takes place on December 2-3.
Image via FIA Formula E Championship
Latest posts by Richard Bailey (see all)
- Bottas stays on top despite collision with Grosjean - 30 November, 2019
- Bottas fastest in FP1, Vettel crashes - 29 November, 2019
- Williams confirms Latifi for 2020 - 28 November, 2019
- Supercars: Stanaway hangs up his helmet - 26 November, 2019
- Formula E: Sims wins chaotic second race in Diriyah - 24 November, 2019