British driver Tom Blomqvist has emerged victorious in a test shootout against Alexander Sims to claim the second race seat at the Andretti Formula E team for the upcoming 2017-18 season.
The 23-year-old replaces Robin Frijns and will be teammate to António Félix da Costa.
A former race-winner in the FIA Formula 3 European championship, Blomqvist finished as championship runner-up to Max Verstappen in the 2014 standings. His success earned him a drive with BMW in the DTM championship, where he was also proved a race-winner.
Blomqvist is one of five rookie drivers joining the Formula E grid for 2017-18. Alongside him is fellow DTM race-winner Edoardo Mortara (at Venturi), GP2 Series veteran Luca Filippi (NIO) and Porsche WEC drivers Neel Jani (Dragon) and André Lotterer (Techeetah).
The season-opening Hong Kong ePrix double-header round takes place on December 2-3.
Image via FIA Formula E Championship
Latest posts by Richard Bailey (see all)
- Unstoppable Ricciardo romps to pole - 27 May, 2018
- Ricciardo tops FP3, Verstappen crashes - 26 May, 2018
- Red Bull stays on top in Monaco - 25 May, 2018
- Ricciardo leads a Red Bull 1-2 in FP1 - 24 May, 2018
- WTCR: Vernay survives jump-start investigation to win Race 3 - 22 May, 2018