Yvan Muller will come out of retirement to assist Polestar Cyan Racing’s bid to win the Drivers’ and Manufacturers’ Championship titles in this weekend’s FIA World Touring Car Championship season finale in Qatar.
The 48-year-old Frenchman holds an unprecedented four WTCC titles and is the championship’s most successful driver. Since retiring from full-time racing at the end of 2016, he joined Volvo as an adviser and development driver to the Swedish manufacturer.
Muller will drive alongside Thed Björk and Nicky Catsburg and race in place of Argentine driver Néstor Girolami, who is mathematically out of contention to win the Drivers’ Championship title while Björk and Catsburg remain in the mix.
“I am glad to be back racing again after working hard, together with the team during this season to get us in a double points lead ahead of the final race weekend,” said Muller.
“My objective is to help Thed (Björk) become Drivers’ champion and support Polestar Cyan Racing to deliver the Manufacturers’ Championship. It is going to be tough, but I have no doubt that we have what it takes to accomplish that in Qatar.”
Image via Nitro888
Latest posts by Richard Bailey (see all)
- EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW: Tony Trimmer - 20 February, 2019
- Formula E: Last gasp victory for di Grassi - 17 February, 2019
- FEATURE: Gifts for the gents - 13 February, 2019
- 2018 F1 Season Review (Blu Ray) - 9 February, 2019
- Supercars: Series to celebrate 1000th race in Melbourne - 22 January, 2019