The Red Bull Toro Rosso drivers were the fastest cars through the speed trap, but not the one the Italian team would have wanted.
Pierre Gasly and Brendon Hartley were both caught speeding in the pit lane during the opening Free Practice session and have been issued with the first fines of the 2018 Formula 1 season by the FIA.
Gasly was caught exceeding the Albert Park circuit’s 60km/h pit lane speed limit by 5.9km/h and fined €600, while almost an hour later teammate Hartley went 1.4km/h over and has been fined €200.
In their first season with Honda power, Gasly finished a solid eleventh-fastest in FP1 while Hartley was 18th-quickest, over two seconds slower than Lewis Hamilton’s pace-setting time in the Mercedes.
Image via Ignite image / MotorsportM8
Latest posts by Richard Bailey (see all)
- 2020 F1 Season Review (Blu Ray) - 27 February, 2021
- WTCR: Guerrieri outwits Muller at the Nordschleife - 26 September, 2020
- WTCR: Girolami breaks Nordschleife lap record to claim pole - 25 September, 2020
- WTCR: Hyundai withdraws from Germany round - 24 September, 2020
- WTCR: Ehrlacher leads Lynk & Co podium sweep at Zolder - 13 September, 2020