Simona De Silvestro has been hit with a points penalty after an incident early in the running of yesterday’s Supercars race at Albert Park.
In the first race for championship points at the Grand Prix circuit, the Swiss born driver made an attempted pass on Richie Stanaway at the penultimate corner just as Tekno’s Jack Le Brocq was trying to pass the slower Prodrive car on the outside.
De Silvestro made contact with the rear of Le Brocq’s car, sending him off the road while her Nissan sustained significant damage to the front bumper, forcing her to retire.
While Le Brocq was able to continue and eventually finished in 20th, the contact was enough for stewards to issue a 25 point penalty to De Silvestro for her involvement in the incident.
Stanaway’s Prodrive team copped a monetary and points fine in the race due to a wheel from the Kiwi’s car entering the fast lane of the pits during his compulsory pit stop.
Prodrive was given notice during the race that they would be docked 30 points in the teams championship as well as having to pay $3,000 for the incident.
Pic via Keith McInnes
Latest posts by Jordan Mulach (see all)
- Supercars: 2019 Ipswich SuperSprint Winners & Losers - 31 July, 2019
- Supercars: 2019 Townsville 400 Winners & Losers - 8 July, 2019
- Supercars: 2019 Darwin Triple Crown Winners & Losers - 18 June, 2019
- Supercars: 2019 Winton SuperSprint Winners & Losers - 29 May, 2019
- Supercars: McLaughlin Takes Tenth Season Win at Winton - 26 May, 2019