Two-time British Touring Car Championship winner James Thompson is the latest headline act to join the inaugural FIA World Touring Car Cup grid. The Englishman will race in a third Honda Civic FK8 Type R TCR being entered by the Münnich Motorsport team.
Thompson is one of the most acclaimed touring car drivers of his generation. A two-time European Touring Car Cup champion (2009-10), Thompson went on to win the 2002 and 2004 BTCC crowns.
Additionally, he has competed in the DTM, Scandinavian Touring Car Championship and FIA World Touring Car Championships, where he has started 156 races and is a four-time race-winner.
This will be his first outing in TCR-spec machinery, however, when he rejoins the team with which he raced a part campaign in the WTCC in 2016, claiming six top-ten finishes in a venerable Chevrolet RML Cruze.
Which subsequent rounds – and how many – Thompson will contest over the remainder of the year have not been revealed. Team owner René Münnich is expected to take over driving duties later in the year.
Images via FIA WTCC Media
Latest posts by Richard Bailey (see all)
- Formula E: Frijns wins as Vergne goes back to back - 15 July, 2019
- Formula E: Sims on pole for New York finale - 15 July, 2019
- Hamilton records sixth British GP victory - 15 July, 2019
- Bottas beats Hamilton to British GP pole - 14 July, 2019
- Leclerc tops ultra-tight session - 13 July, 2019