Mercedes AMG Petronas Motorsportwill lose the full-time services of two vital engineering leads in the coming months.
Aldo Costa, the team’s Engineering Director, will move to an advisory role as he wants to spend more time with his family in Italy. The team’s Performance Director, Mark Ellis, will resign and take a sabbatical which begins in mid-2019.
The team’s engineering group will now be overseen by James Allison (Technical Director) and John Owen (Chief Designer), while Ellis’ role will be backfilled by Loïc Serra.
“This is a significant moment for our team and a great opportunity,” said team executive director Toto Wolff.
“We have said many times that you cannot freeze a successful organisation; it is a dynamic structure and I am proud that we are able to hand the baton smoothly to the next generation of leaders inside the team.
“We have been in discussion for many months with both Mark and Aldo about how best to implement this transition and to empower their successors. They could not be more different personalities but they have both respected that difference and their legacy with Mercedes will stand test of time.
“Mark and Aldo have both helped to shape the timing and manner of these changes, and the team’s future is very bright with John, Loïc and our entire technical leadership working under James’s direction.”
Latest posts by Geoff Burke (see all)
- Supercars: McLaughlin closes in on third title - 26 September, 2020
- Supercars: Former team granted Bathurst 1000 wildcard - 22 September, 2020
- Supercars: McLaughlin leads DJRTP 1-2 in Race 3 - 20 September, 2020
- Supercars: Van Gisbergen dominates Race 2 at The Bend - 20 September, 2020
- Supercars: Coulthard wins thriller at The Bend - 19 September, 2020