The Mexican Grand Prix could disappear from the Formula 1 calendar after this year following officials confirmation that the country’s race will no longer receive government support, putting the event’s future in doubt.
Racing at the historic Autódromo Hermanos Rodríguez in the heart of Mexico’s capital returned to the Formula 1 calendar in 2015 after a 23-year absence, revived by an injection of government funds.
The reported annual contribution of $21 million USD will instead go towards the country’s multi-billion-dollar rail link project Mexico City mayor, Claudia Sheinbaum, advised local media last week.
“By 2020, the federal government no longer has the resource because it is allocating most of the fund to the completion of the Mayan Train,” Sheinbaum told Mexican newspaper El Financiero.
“There will be Formula 1 in 2019 because the amount has already been allocated since last year,” she added.
The country’s president, Andrés Manuel López Obrador, confirmed at a press conference on Tuesday that the race will no longer receive state support after this year.
“I do not know how the F1 contracts are. If they are not signed, we will not be able to,” he said.
“In some cases, events were financed by the tourism development fund and that fund is committed to the construction of the Mayan train.
“We do not know in what situation these contracts [with F1] are. We are going to review them.
“We will continue to support all sports but with austerity, without excess, without waste.”
The deadline for a contract renewal to host the race from 2020 onward is 28 February. It is understood event organisers will meet with the Mexican government and Formula 1 officials in an attempt to broker a deal to keep the popular race on the calendar.
Image via Mercedes-AMG Petronas Motorsport
Latest posts by Elle Haus (see all)
- Mexican GP in jeopardy? - 20 February, 2019
- Drivers must be ‘superstars’, says former Pirelli boss - 19 February, 2019
- Renault ‘pushing’ Liberty Media for 2021 regulations decision - 19 February, 2019
- F1 teams rejected joint pre-season launch idea - 7 February, 2019
- Vettel under pressure to deliver, says Rosberg - 29 January, 2019