The final round of the 2019 FIA World Touring Car Cup season at its inaugural visit to the Sepang International Circuit in Malaysia will feature three local wildcard drivers.
Headlining the trio is MotoGP rider Hafizh Syahrin, who races for the Red Bull KTM Tech 3 outfit. Syahrin will contest the 8 Hours of Sepang Endurance World Championship race on Saturday 14 December before switching to four-wheel driving duties for the WTCR’s trio of races on Sunday 15 December.
Syahrin will partner local driver Mitchell Cheah (pictured above) in a pair of Volkswagen Golf GTI TCRs being entered by Liqui Moly Team Engstler.
Cheah’s entry was secured with the backing of a driver talent programme run by the Sepang International Circuit organisation, following his TCR South East Asia Championship title last year. He currently races in the ADAC TCR Germany Touring Car Championship with Volkswagen Team Oettinger.
“Hafizh Syahrin is a household name in Malaysia and we’re delighted he won’t just be competing at Races of Malaysia, but truly embracing the double-header concept by taking part in both the 8 Hours of Sepang and the three races that make up WTCR Race of Malaysia,” said François Ribeiro, Head of Eurosport Events, the WTCR and EWC promoter.
A CUPRA TCR entered by local outfit Viper Niza Racing will be driven by Douglas Khoo.
Image via TouringCarTimes
Latest posts by Richard Bailey (see all)
- WTCR: Guerrieri outwits Muller at the Nordschleife - 26 September, 2020
- WTCR: Girolami breaks Nordschleife lap record to claim pole - 25 September, 2020
- WTCR: Hyundai withdraws from Germany round - 24 September, 2020
- WTCR: Ehrlacher leads Lynk & Co podium sweep at Zolder - 13 September, 2020
- WTCR: Girolami kicks off 2020 season with victory - 13 September, 2020